domingo, 3 de mayo de 2009

The beauty of the English language (II)


Gaze
.

n. A steady intent look.
v. Look steadily and intently.
(Oxford dictionary)

En ESP. Mirar larga y fijamente.
(Concise Oxford Spanish dictionary)


[as opposed to]


Glimpse.

n. A momentary or partial look.
v. See briefly or partially.
(Oxford dictionary)

En ESP. Atisbar.
(Concise Oxford Spanish dictionary)


(Curiosamente, ambas palabras las conozco originalmente de una misma fuente, los Smashing Pumpkins: la primera, obviamente, de "The everlasting gaze"; la segunda proviene de una canción del segundo disco de Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness llamada "Lily":

Lily, my one and only,
I can hardly wait till I see her
Silly, I know I'm silly
'Cause I'm hanging in the streets
in the hopes that she will
catch a glimpse of me
etc. etc.)


No hay comentarios: